Yellowstone National Park — located in Northwestern Wyoming, on the border of Montana and Idaho — is one of the largest and most popular national parks in the world, and is particularly notable in the RVing community as a destination well-suited for an RV trip. Yellowstone occupies an area that is over 3,500 square miles, within which there are stunning, massive geysers, canyons, rivers, forests, volcanic hot springs, and hundreds of animal species native to the area. The park is built around several active volcanos, which makes the area particularly interesting from a geological perspective.
As the first national park in the United States (established in 1972), and as arguably the first national park in the world, Yellowstone also appeals to historically-minded visitors on a trip through the United States — it currently enjoys UNESCO world heritage site status, and features over 1,000 archaeological sites and structures, from Native American antiquity all the way through to the modern day. Certainly, the park is a worthwhile destination for a wide variety of visitors, and will appeal to those who have a passing interest in nature, or alternatively, to those who have a more historical or socio-cultural interest in the area.
The Yellowstone region is perhaps the ideal trip destination for RVers, and as a result, camper rentals in and around Yellowstone National Park are a prominent industry. The region is so dense with beautiful scenery that you can easily find a location to camp at with your RV where the vista justifies the effort required to rent and travel in an RV. Yellowstone sees over four million visitors every year, many of which are RVers or — at the very least — are going traditional camping and therefore make use of similar facilities. As such, the RV infrastructure in the Yellowstone National Park region is quite developed. There are numerous rental dealerships, RV supply shops, repair shops, campgrounds, RV resorts, and more.
Planning on renting an RV for a trip to Yellowstone National Park? Let’s take a look at some of your options.
RV Rental Costs in Yellowstone
How much does it cost to rent an RV in Yellowstone? The cost of renting an RV — whether in Yellowstone or elsewhere — is subject to change depending on a number of different factors, including but not limited to the specific location of the rental, the age of the RV model, the season, the length of the rental, and more. Generally speaking, however, you can expect Yellowstone RV rental costs to fall within a certain baseline range.
Yellowstone Motorhome Rental
- Class A: $125-$300+
- Class B: $75-$200+
- Class C: $100-$250+
Yellowstone RV Trailer Rental
- Fifth wheel: $100-$250+
- Travel trailer: $80-$200+
- Folding camper: $50-$125+
Whether you’re going for a luxury RV rental in Yellowstone, or a standard campervan rental in the Yellowstone area, or anything in between, you can save a great deal of money by avoiding rentals during periods of excessive consumer demand, such as summer months, weekends, holidays, and other periods. During low season, not only are rental rates likely to drop, but some dealerships offer package deals and discounts to incentivize rentals.
Figuring Out Where to Rent an RV for Yellowstone National Park
Though there are a number of different entrances into Yellowstone National Park (from minor to major entrances, some with varying entry requirements), one of the top choices for RVers is the southern entrance, which is accessible via the town of Jackson Hole. As such, reserving your Yellowstone RV Rental in Jackson Hole is a great option if you intend to explore and stay around the south entrance of the park.
When renting an RV, you have several different options. Primarily, however, you’ll be deciding between a traditional dealership rental or a peer-to-peer rental. Each has their particular advantages and disadvantages.
Dealerships operate a fleet of vehicles which they rent out from different outlets. There are local, regional, and national-oriented dealership companies, with outlets scattered throughout relevant rental locations, including Yellowstone National Park.
- Tend to be more expensive, as there are many costs associated with running a dealership that are passed on to the consumer.
- There may be limited availability due to the fleet getting booked ahead of time.
- Generally speaking, dealerships operate fleets with a few mainstream models. As a result, the selection can be narrow.
Online peer-to-peer RV rental platforms connect renters with RV owners. The platform itself does not operate a fleet.
If you’re renting in the Yellowstone area, simply filter your search by location (to Jackson Hole, or other rental locations in the Yellowstone National Park region) and in accordance with your various other preferences.
- Can result in significant savings if you find a below-market rental. Certain owners do not care about maximizing their earnings, and are willing to rent out their vehicle at a discounted price.
- Can use the platform to easily search for and compare rental listings.
- Selection tends to be better as you can browse through the personal listings of RV owners — individual owners tend to purchase a broader variety of RVs, so you may be able to more readily find a configuration you like or a niche model that you’re interested in.
Cost-Saving Tips for Yellowstone National Park Rentals
If you’re renting an RV for a Yellowstone trip, consider the following tips.
- You can potentially make use of a drop-off and pick-up rental from a local dealership — the dealership will deliver the RV trailer to a campground site, set up the vehicle for you, and pick it up when you’re finished. This way, you only have to spend money on renting an RV for those days you actually spend at the campground, rather than for the entire length of the trip.
- Purchase a park pass to save money on multiple entries into the park.
- Yellowstone National Park has numerous boondocking sites where you can camp (without hookups) for free or low cost.
- Many local dealerships have package deal rentals with discounted campground or RV resort stays, so take a look before you finalize your reservation!